If you're looking for a home in Luton there are a number of options you can consider.

Private renting

Houses and flats owned by a private landlord. 

Tenancies are normally 'assured shorthold' for a fixed term period of at least six months. The landlord can end the tenancy at when the fixed term period is up unless you make an agreement to extend it.  Rents can vary a great deal, depending on the type of property and where it is.  Most landlords ask for a deposit and rent in advance which can be a significant sum of money.  You can find available properties on RightMove or in your local newspaper, or through local high street lettings agents.

More advice and information on your housing options.

Social renting

Properties are owned by councils and registered providers (housing associations, for example) and are available at lower rents than in the private sector.  More information on social renting.

Buying a home

Many people think that buying a home is beyond their reach, but some help is available to enable people which qualify to buy their first home. Help to Buy provides a loan or savings scheme towards a deposit for your first home. Shared ownership schemes enable you to part buy and part rent to take the first steps on the property ladder.

Council and housing association tenants seeking to move

If you can’t or don’t want to stay in your current home you can:

  • apply to join the housing register in your local authority area (see above under social renting)
  • look for another social tenant to exchange homes with - see more about mutual exchange here.

Homefinder UK

Homefinder UK is a national mobility scheme available to anyone willing to move nationwide and with a housing need, including homelessness, overcrowding or people experiencing domestic abuse.